Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join NASW
CSW Step by Step
Share |
Certified Social Worker-intern (CSW-i)
Certified Social Worker (CSW)

Certified Social Worker

A Certified Social Worker is a master’s level social worker who can engage in the supervised practice of mental health therapy. Most certified social workers become licensed clinical social workers after completing 4,000 hours of supervised practice, 100 hours of direct face to face supervision and passing the Clinical exam.

Certified Social Work-intern

A temporary (6 month) CSW-intern license (CSW-i) can be issued when you meet all education requirements, but do not pass the ASWB exam. However, the hours you accrue while licensed as a CSW-intern WILL NOT count toward licensure as an LCSW.

Qualifying for the CSW license 

-Remember, you must FIRST apply for a license or preapproval form DOPL BEFORE you register to take the exam.

-Print license application Utah Social Work Licensing Applications complete it, and submit it (with $120 fee) to DOPL.

-You must either submit transcripts verifying awarding of degree or letter from school verifying that you are in your last semester of school.

-Receive letter from DOPL confirming you are pre-approved to take the ASWB clinical exam. Letter will provide ASWB exam registration information.

- Register with ASWB to take clinical exam (Utah only!)

Utah is one of a handful of states that will allow you to take the Clinical exam instead of the intermediate or master’s exam immediately after graduating with your MSW degree.

-So, even though you are taking the clinical exam, you will still apply initially for the CSW license.

- If exam is passed, Call your college registrar and have an official copy of your transcripts forwarded directly to DOPL verifying that degree was awarded.   You can have your transcripts sent directly to you.  However, if you choose this option, KEEP THE OFFICIAL ENVELOPE SEALED!  You will receive your CSW license in the mail about two weeks after DOPL receives your transcripts.

-If exam is not passed, request that school submit original copy of transcripts to DOPL verifying that degree was awarded. Consider whether to apply for Certified Social Worker Intern license. If exam is not passed within one year of submitting license application, your application will be denied and you will have to submit a new license application.

Note-the supervised hours accrued as a CSW-i DO NOT count toward the 4000 hours required for the LCSW.

Certified Social Worker (CSW)

-Print license application from, complete and submit (with $120 fee) to DOPL. Must either submit transcripts verifying awarding of degree or letter from school verifying that you are in your last semester of school.
 -Receive letter from DOPL verifying that you can register for the ASWB exam
 -Call ASWB and register for the ASWB Clinical examination (Utah only)
 -Pass the ASWB clinical examination; if you have not already (because you were in the last semester of school) have your transcripts forwarded from the college registrar’s office to DOPL OR to you (keep envelope sealed!)
 -If exam not passed, consider the certified social work intern license.  The fee for this license is $85.00

Community Search
Sign In
Sign In securely

Spring 2017 Tom Mulder Memorial Lunch and Lecture on LGBTQ Issues

Utah Chapter, NASW
University of Utah, College of Social Work Room 229
395 South 1500 East • SLC, UT 84112
Phone: 801-583-8855 • Email: